February 12, 1-2 pm
Because of the ongoing CoVID restrictions, Saturday Snips will continue to be held virtually. If you’ve been hesitating to join a virtual SNIPS, we’d like to encourage you to jump in and give it a try. It’s only an hour out of your day but in this time when we feel so separated it’s nice to have a chance to connect. Past participants have been enthusiastic about the experience.
“…nice to see everyone and hear them…”
“I enjoyed the conversation.”
“…a group conversation rather than individual conversations. I really liked that.”
Most people bring something to work on (just like a live SNIPS). We catch up on current projects, share the latest news and show off our finished pieces. It’s a nice break from the “Groundhog Day” life of COVID.
To Join – click on the link below or cut and paste it into your browser about 5 minutes before the meeting starts.
A Knitter’s View of Shetland
Master Knitter Cheryl den Hartog takes us on a tour of Shetland and its fibre heritage – past and present. Enjoy a slide show, some stories from people Cheryl has met, and a display of some items knitted in Shetland, followed by a Q&A.
When: November 28, 1:30 – 2:30 p.m
Where: Annapolis Royal Library Program Room
151 Ritchie Street, Annapolis Royal
COVID protocols in place. Proof of vaccination required. Masks must be worn indoors.
Pre-registration Required: email@example.com
No cost to SOFAAR members
Seating Availability is limited. Registration will be open to SOFAAR members only until November 21st, at which time it will be opened to members of the public at a cost of $5.
Your newsletter team works hard to bring you this popular benefit of membership but we can’t do it without you!
Please send any news, photos, stories or links to good fibre stuff to: firstname.lastname@example.org by September 15th to be included in the next issue.
Join us at The Courtyard Artists and Artisans (212 St. George St., Annapolis Royal) for International Crochet Day. WEATHER PERMITTING! Bring a chair, a snack and whatever you’re working on. Non-crochet projects are fine, too. This is an outdoor event with no rain date. Current COVID protocols will apply.
As is our tradition, there will be no Saturday Snips in August. We’ll let you know as soon as we can whether September’s Snips will be a Zoom meeting or an in-person one. Stay tuned!
Due to today’s weather, Stitching at the Courtyard is cancelled.
TRAILING THREADS SOFAAR 2021 COLLECTIVE FIBRE PROJECT
We all wish to stay connected through our love of fibre. And we all miss being together.
How about joining a virtual collective fibre project for the rest of this year?
The idea is for all registered participants to work on the exact same image as a project.
We would meet together via Zoom at an agreed upon time every couple of weeks to talk about our interpretation of the image and our progress.
Here are the details:
OBJECTIVE: Staying connected through a common project
TITLE: Trailing Threads
FACILITATOR/CONTACT: Christine Igot
IMAGE: Mayflower or Trailing arbutus (hence the project name). Nova Scotia’s provincial flower.
REGISTRATION DATE: by April 1st, 2021 to email@example.com
FINISH DATE: December 31st, 2021
1. Every participant uses the exact same image.
2. Coloured image (as seen above) is provided in a .pdf to all registered participants.
3. Size may be altered but colouring is to remain the same.
4. Any and all fibre and any and all techniques can be used, including but not limited to: embroidery, needlepoint, hooking, quilting, cross-stitch, appliqué, crochet, knitting, beading, felting, lace-making, etc.
5. Finished piece can take any form: rug, hanging, framed piece, chair pad, 3D stand alone, quilt, wearable art, etc. Limited only by imagination.
6. Participants work on their piece on their own time but every two weeks, participants meet via Zoom at an agreed time to discuss their work and their challenges and show their progress.
7. Participants MUST agree to attend the Zoom meetings to meet the objective of the project (see above).
Of course, once or twice, maybe, someone might have a conflict and miss a session.
8. Participants may create more than one finished piece in more than one technique.
9. Pieces must be finished by December 31st, 2021
10. A SOFAAR exhibit of all the pieces may be possible in the spring of 2022.
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: unlimited, but you must be a SOFAAR member. Participants will all be contacted via e-mail the first week in April to set up a time and day for the Zoom meetings.
COST: There is no cost. The project is open to all SOFAAR members and each participant provides their own materials.
If you would like to be a part of this collective stitch-along, please fill out the registration form and send it to Christine Igot. You can find the registration form here on the Members’ Only page of the SOFAAR website. Or you can request a form from Christine by e-mail. You’ll need to print it, complete it, scan it, and e-mail or snail mail it to Christine.