Gaspereau Valley Fibres Workshops
Learn to Spin on a Drop Spindle with Jenna Holtz October 7th
Beginner Spinning with Sam Haley October 14th
Double Width Weaving with Tammy Bast October 21st
Needle Felting with Nancy Keating October 21st
Drum Carding and Drafting for Designer Yarn with Lorna Ash October 22nd
Fire in the Sky Mittens with Cheryl den Hartog October 22nd
Trio of Trees with Cheryl den Hartog October 29th
SOFAAR presents the Art of Fibre 2023. We are pleased to announce that our annual Members’ Exhibition will be held at the Chapel Gallery, ARTSPLACE, 396 St. George Street, Annapolis Royal, from September 1 until September 26, 2023.
SPECIAL NOTE: This information was included in our January newsletter. Unfortunately, because of some communication mishaps on our end, it was not re-shared with our members more recently. We recognize that many of you may have forgotten about the exhibition and also that the deadline is very soon. As such, we have changed the deadline from August 16th to August 23rd and encourage you to submit up to five pieces of work. Depending on how many pieces are submitted, we may not be able to display more than two of your submissions. You may indicate which two of your submissions are your “favorites.”
This year’s exhibition will not have a specific theme but we want to feature the excellence and the wide range of fibre art created by SOFAAR members. Submit your latest work or an older piece of which you are particularly proud to have created. We encourage original work but if it is not your own design, we ask that you credit the original designer.
Here are some things to keep in mind when you are preparing for the exhibition:
– You are invited to submit up to five pieces of your choice. Entries will not be juried but, depending on how many pieces are submitted, we may not be able to display more than two of your submissions. You may indicate which two of your submissions are your “favorites.”
– We ask that you include a full digital image of your work for each entry. This helps us plan the layout for the exhibition before installation.
– Email your photos to email@example.com with the following information for each entry by the deadline for receipt of entries, Wednesday, August 23, 2023:
- Title of the piece
- Size, height X width
- Materials used
- Is the piece for sale? If so, what is the price?
–Please include an artist’s statement with your submission. The statement is simply one or two sentences explaining what inspired you to create the piece.
– Each piece must be clearly labelled on the back with the artist’s name and the title of the work.
– Work to be hung must be ready for hanging, including a hanging rod, if applicable, and any special hardware if a simple nail will not suffice. If your work requires a special display, please provide it.
– Work may be for sale but the piece must remain in the exhibition until the closing date. ARTSPLACE will handle all sales and will take a 30% fee.
– Although every care will be taken of the submitted work, the responsibility for loss and damage whilst in exhibition cannot be accepted by SOFAAR or ARCAC. We strongly advise that each artist obtain commercial insurance to cover their work on exhibit.
– We ask that you deliver your work to ARTSPLACE Wednesday, August 30, 2023. The gallery is open from 10 am – 12 pm and 1 pm – 4 pm. If this is not possible, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to make alternate arrangements for delivery.
– We ask that you collect your work at ARTSPLACE Wednesday, September 27, or Thursday September 28, from 10 am -12 pm and 1 – 4 pm. If this is not possible, contact us at email@example.com to make alternate arrangements.
Deadline for receipt of entries – Wednesday, Aug. 23, 2023
Work delivery date – Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2023, ARTSPLACE, 10am-noon, 1-4pm
Exhibition opens – Friday, Sept. 1, 2023
Opening reception – Saturday, Sept. 9, 2023, noon–2pm
Exhibition closes – Tuesday, Sept. 26, 2023
Collect your work at ARTSPLACE – Wednesday, Sept. 27 and Thursday, Sept. 28, 2023, 10am–noon, 1–4pm