Happy fibre-filled year of 2018 to all of you!
Some news to start the year.
The Mary E. Black gallery in Halifax is sending out a call for Exhibition submissions:
The Mary E. Black Gallery invites proposals from community groups, cultural groups, guilds, artists, craftspeople and curators for the year of 2020. Annually, seven shows are selected by the Exhibition Review Committee to fulfill the gallery’s mandate, as Nova Scotia’s only public fine craft gallery, to exhibit traditional and contemporary fine craft created by aspiring and established local, regional, Canadian and international artists. Juried, curated and travelling exhibitions are eligible.
Year round the Nova Scotia Centre for Craft and Design hosts exhibitions in the Mary E. Black Gallery which educate the public about craft and design and promote the pursuit of excellence in the craft community.
Submissions must include the following:
Letter of Intent/Proposal:
- Clear description of theme/concept and the type of work defined by medium, technique, membership or function (maximum of 500 words)
- Proposed or working title of exhibition
- A list of artist/s and justification for their inclusion if the proposal is curatorial or a group exhibition
- Please indicate if you are open to the possibility of being curated into a two person show, group show, or shared use of our gallery space.
- A list of works to be exhibited (include artist, title, medium, dimensions in metric, date of work) or if not yet created, a list of what is planned for inclusion
- Support material which can include any materials relevant to the application, images (maximum of 20), promotional materials, reviews and catalogues
- Image requirements are as follows: JPEG format, maximum of 1024×768 resolution, 72 DPI, RGB
- A list of the support material provided including the title, medium, dimensions in metric, date of work
- A curriculum vitae of the principal organizer/curator or artist
Proposals and support material must be submitted via Dropbox link firstname.lastname@example.org by 4pm AST on April 3, 2018.
Late submissions, incomplete applications, or submissions sent outside dropbox will NOT be accepted.
Proposal evaluation is based on:
- The artistic merit of the exhibition proposed
- The quality of the applicant’s work to date
- The ability of the organization/individual to bring the exhibition to fruition
The Mary E. Black Gallery offers:
- Artist’s fees based on recommended CARFAC rates
- Cost of an opening reception
- Colour invitation / exhibition brochure
- Inclusion in our standard publicity program
The Mary E Black Gallery staff offers assistance to applicants who may have difficulty with the process or face barriers to applying. If you would like help applying, please contact the gallery at email@example.com(link sends e-mail) or 902-492-2522.