There is only ONE remaining room at the Hillsdale House Inn for our Fabulous Fall Fibre Retreat!
The time to book it is NOW!
There are a few possible day-stitching spots still up for grabs.
Please contact us for more information and to register.
It’s going to be a Fabulous Fall Fibre event!!
The Variety Store in Annapolis Royal (a SOFAAR sponsor) is now carrying DMC embroidery floss. This is great news for all kinds of fibre artists in our area.
Amy and Kayla were just setting up the display this morning !
SOFAAR presents the Art of Fibre exhibition 2018
All members of SOFAAR are invited to participate in the annual members’ exhibition at the Chapel Gallery at ARCAC (Annapolis Region Community Arts Council) in Annapolis Royal from September 2 to October 13, 2018.
This year’s exhibition will not have a specific theme but we want to feature the excellence and the wide range of fibre art created by SOFAAR members. Submit your latest work or an older piece of which you are particularly proud to have created. We encourage original work but if it is not we ask that you credit the original designer. Acknowledgement should be given to anyone participating in the execution of the work, i.e., quilted by, framed by, etc.
Here are some things to keep in mind when you are preparing for the exhibition;
– This is a curated show, not a juried one. The Chapel Gallery is not a large space and the curator’s task is to look at the work that is submitted and choose pieces that will show the greatest variety of fibre art as possible in the available space.
– We are delighted to announce that Laurie Swim will be our curator. Recipient of numerous honours, including the 2013 Portia White Prize, Laurie Swim is arguably Nova Scotia’s best known fibre artist. Her most recent work, Hope and Survival, tells the story of the Halifax Explosion and was displayed at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in 2017 and the Museum of Industry in Stellarton, N.S, earlier this year.
– You are invited to submit multiple pieces.
– This year we ask that you submit digital images of your work for selection. For each entry submit one full image and one detailed image, in a .jpg format. Name your file as follows; last name, first name, title, for example: SmithJaneWaterlilliesFull.jpg for the full image and SmithJaneWaterlilies Detail.jpg for the close-up detailed view. The curator will choose entries for the show from the digital images.
– Email your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information for each entry by the deadline for receipt of entries, August 10, 2018:
Title of the piece
Size: height X width
Is the piece for sale? If so, what is the price? Please note that ARCAC will take a 10% fee if the work is sold.
You must include an artist’s statement with your submission. The statement is simply one or two sentences explaining what inspired you to create the piece.
Does SOFAAR have permission to use your photos to promote the exhibition?
– Each piece must be clearly labelled on the back with the artist’s name and the title of the work.
– Work to be hung must be ready for hanging, including a hanging rod, if applicable, and any special hardware if a simple nail will not suffice. If your work requires a special display, please provide it.
– Work may be for sale but the piece must remain until the closing date of the Exhibition. ARCAC will handle all sales, including credit cards, and will take a 10% fee.
-Although every care will be taken of the submitted work, the responsibility for loss and damage whilst in exhibition cannot be accepted by SOFAAR or ARCAC. We strongly advise that each artist obtain commercial insurance to cover the work in exhibition.
– Once you have been notified that your entry will be welcomed in the show we ask that you deliver your work to ARCAC, 396 St George Street, Annapolis Royal, August 29, 2018, between 10 am and noon.
Deadline for receipt of entries – August 10, 2018
Notification of acceptance – August 17, 2018
Accepted work delivery date – August 29, 2018, 10 am – noon
Exhibition opens – September 2, 2018
Reception – September 9, 2018, 1 – 3 pm
Exhibition closes – October 13, 2018
Collect your work from gallery – October 15, 2018, 10 am – noon
SOFAAR will hold its 2nd Fibre crafting Retreat at the beautiful Hillsdale House Inn in Annapolis Royal the weekend of September 28th.
The rooms are filling up fast at the Inn, there are only 4 now available (rooms: 1, 4 ,9 and 14). We have been offered a special price for these rooms as well as an early-bird Thursday night rate for those who would like to have the whole day on Friday to work on their projects.
There are also several days-stitching spots available. These allow you to participate in the Retreat even if you stay somewhere else!
Our Retreat is for a maximum of 30 participants only.
SOFAAR members: $85 (plus hotel fee)
NON-MEMBERS: $95 (plus hotel fee)
Please find the Retreat package attached.
You can also e-mail Christine at email@example.com with any questions regarding the Retreat.
SOFAAR members will be showing and telling in Annapolis Royal on Friday evening, June 1st and on Saturday, June 2nd.
This is our annual members’ exhibit and along with presenting finished work, members will be on hand working on their pieces. You will have a chance to see fibre crafting in action.
Our Friday evening event is held in conjunction with First Fridays in Annapolis Royal. The first Friday of every month, stores are open late and there are events and music. Please see the Town website for events.
SOFAAR’s show and tell will take place at Mrs. Nicholson Home at 212 St-George St in Annapolis Royal from 6 pm to 8 pm on the Friday evening and from 10 am to 3 pm on the Saturday.
We hope to see you there.
SOFAAR will be holding its next fun fibre gathering day this coming Saturday, May 12th at the home of Marilyn Preus, 81 Chute Road in Bear River from 1:30 to 4 pm.
SOFAAR will host its 2nd annual Come Play with Us event at the Firehall in Annapolis Royal on Saturday, May 5th from 10 to 4.
Please see details below!
A cold wind but warm fibre! We had full house for our annual general meeting and stash stash on Saturday the 17th.
A new board has been elected and details will be posted after the next regular board meeting.
There were lots of deals to be had at the stash sale with many balls of fibre, bags of buttons and ribbons, patterns and odds and ends going home with happy new owners!
A big thank you to everyone who came out. And a huge thank you to our sponsors. Remember to use your cards for discounts!
Many stayed on to work on the their projects and chat and catch up.
Our next event is a stitching day on Sunday, April 15th. Stay tuned for details.