SOFAAR presents: Our Architectural Heritage
We are happy to announce that SOFAAR members will have the opportunity to show their fibre art in 2021 after the necessity of having to cancel the 2020 exhibition. Except for the dates, the guidelines below have not changed.
All members of SOFAAR are invited to participate in the 2021 members’ exhibition at the Chapel Gallery at ARTsPLACE in Annapolis Royal from April 25 to June 6, 2021.
The theme of the exhibition is Our Architectural Heritage. We’re defining a heritage home or other architectural structure as one that is 100 years old, more or less.
We originally launched this exhibition with the theme of Heritage Homes but we have expanded the parameters to include our wider architectural heritage.
In addition to houses members may also consider old barns, churches, schools, lighthouses, RR stations, bridges, etc. as inspiration for their entry.
You can use an image of a building from any time period, from when it was built until the present day. You may opt to create a realistic image of the home or use an abstract interpretation. You can present a view of the entire structure or pick one feature (an interesting window or door, perhaps) or a collage of different features. Any fibre medium or combination is permissible, so you have lots of creative possibilities.
Here are some things to keep in mind when you are preparing for the exhibition;
– You are invited to submit one or two pieces of your choice. Entries will not be juried.
– Each entry may not exceed 150” in perimeter. The Chapel Gallery is a small and intimate space.
– We ask that you include a full digital image of your work for each entry. This helps us plan the layout for the gallery before installation.
– Email your photos to email@example.com with the following information for each entry by the deadline for receipt of entries, Wednesday, April 14, 2021.
–Title of the piece
–Size, height X width
–Is the piece for sale? If so, what is the price?
–Please include an artist’s statement with your submission. The statement is simply one or two sentences explaining what inspired you to create the piece.
–Does SOFAAR have permission to use your photos to promote the exhibition?
– Each piece must be clearly labelled on the back with the artist’s name and the title of the work.
– Work to be hung must be ready for hanging, including a hanging rod, if applicable, and any special hardware if a simple nail will not suffice. If your work requires a special display, please provide it.
– Work may be for sale but the piece must remain in the exhibition until the closing date. ARTsPLACE will handle all sales and will take a 25% fee.
– Although every care will be taken of the submitted work, the responsibility for loss and damage whilst in exhibition cannot be accepted by SOFAAR or ARCAC. We strongly advise that each artist obtain commercial insurance to cover their work on exhibit.
– We ask that you deliver your work to the ARTsPLACE, 396 St. George St., Annapolis Royal, Wednesday, April 21, 2021, from 10:00 – 12:00 and 1:00 – 4:00. If this is not possible, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to make alternate arrangements for delivery.
– We ask that you collect your work at ARTsPLACE , Tuesday, June 8, from 10:00 – 12:00. If this is not possible, contact us at email@example.com to make alternate arrangements.
– Deadline for receipt of entries – Wednesday, April 14
– Work delivery date – Wednesday, April 21, 10:00 – 12:00 and 1:00 – 4:00 ARTsPLACE, Annapolis Royal
– Exhibition opens – Sunday, April 25
– Exhibition closes – Sunday, June 6
– Collect your work from gallery – Tuesday, June 8, 10:00-12:00